Friday, August 16, 2013

be a dreamer




This summer, I worked as a Camp Counselor. One kid had a special impact on me. One day he asks me, "What do you want to be when you grow up." I thought about it, as he looked up at me, and I had no answer. I was at a loss for words. At twenty years old, a Senior in college, I still had not a clue. So, I looked back at him and said, "honestly, I haven't quite figured it out yet."

He sat back in his seat, looked out the window and said, "I want to be a doctor." Plain and simple. At seven, he knows exactly what he wants to do and isn't afraid to say it aloud. I remember when I was like that. But as you get older, obligations, money, time and lack of clear focus get in the way.

Looking back on that moment, I wish I would have said I want to be a dreamer. Everyday, I am constantly thinking up new ways to occupy my time and sometimes these ideas could become a serious career goal. As I've watched the adults in my life grow older, I have realized that I never want to stop dreaming and expanding my knowledge. In the world of technology - jobs could come and go on a dime. Being able to constantly adapt and be an innovator is a seriously strong survival skill.

I'm going to keep dreaming. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment